WHY GO ELECTRIC?
Make More of Your Adventures with an OYAMA Electric Bicycle.
Make More of Your Adventures with an OYAMA Electric Bicycle
Today’s electric bikes are not your grandparent’s (or even your Mom and Dad’s) electric bikes. Gone are the contraptions of yesteryear that were little more than conventional bikes with some odd adapters, lead acid batteries, and a motor hung in place, sometimes off the axle. Today’s electric bikes are refined and highly engineered to allow for proper placement of components and smooth and comfortable rides.
eBikes are . . .
- Great for commuters, giving them an all-important pedal assist into (or out) of the city for that extra mile, which is especially beneficial for commutes that are lengthy or hilly.
- Ideal for vacationers who want to leave their car or truck parked back at the hotel, condo, or campground and continue exploring their temporary home away from home free of the hassles of traffic snarls and finding and paying for parking.
- The perfect micro mobility solution for people who desire to leave their cars behind and experience the freedom of biking in and around their communities knowing that an electronic pedal assist is never far away (but the hassles of traffic and parking are!).
THE BASICS OF EBIKE TECHNOLOGY
Oyama has taken a leadership role in the development of emerging micro mobility products, including folding bikes and eBikes. While eBikes are simple to ride, understanding how they work and how they’re engineered can be challenging.
At the heart of every eBike is the controller. It’s the “brain” of the system. Controllers can be as basic as telling the eBike system when to go on or off, or as sophisticated as being able to monitor the battery and motor temperature to modulate the two and offer onboard diagnostics. A sine wave controller can also provide control over the power curve, which can relegate ride smoothness. The controller might also provide options for power regeneration when braking or going downhill. Of course, with all this sophistication, there’s a cost differential. High-end controllers can cost as much as four times their basic counterparts.
Every eBike needs a motor, and these days there are generally two options: hub drive and central (or mid) drive.
- The hub drive goes on your wheel, usually in the rear of the bike, and are usually positioned at the middle of a wheel. As the hub drive receives electricity, electromagnets in the hub cause the wheel to spin, propelling the bike forward. When the bike is powered off, the hub drive acts like a regular wheel hub, connecting the wheel to the bicycle axle. Hub drives are typically not recommended for off-road use.
- Central or mid-drive designs are located near the bottom bracket where the crank arms attach through the bike’s frame for pedaling. Unlike a hub motor, mid-drives propel the chain forward, not the wheel. Mid-drives tend to be more efficient and powerful than hub-drive systems, extending ride distance and climbing ability, and are superb for off-road as well as on-road use.
Like controllers, motors come in a range of prices, usually dependent on quality of the stator (the part that has the cable windings) to the quality of the cable and windings, and even the magnets. Quality components lead to more durability and reduction of heat and heat damage to the motor (and the bicycle) over time.
Today’s eBike batteries consist of Lithium Ion Cells, placed in an array, and managed by the Battery Management System (“BMS”). The BMS is the “Brain” of the battery. It monitors and controls the charging and discharging of an eBike’s rechargeable batteries.
Since the batteries power an eBike’s drive and controller, the BMS and the quality of your batteries are critical to performance and keeping the battery safe as it charges. High end BMS’s can also connect to your smartphone through WIFI so you can monitor the cells and get alerts on battery status!
With roots in Japan and more than 50 years of mechanical and design expertise, OYAMA Bikes builds 200+ varieties of practical, functional, and innovative folding bikes for active mobile cyclists, including two innovate folding eBikes, the OYAMA CX E8D and the CX E8D Series II.
- The OYAMA CX E8D folding electric bicycle provides pedal-assisted power up to 20mph with a 250-watt custom-tuned motor ample for daily transportation and commuting needs as well as the thrill of exploring nearby places. Shimano 8-speed gearing, powerful disc brakes, and wide Kenda tires are supported by a strong and reliable set of double wall alloy rims.
- The OYAMA CX E8D Series II folding electric bicycle takes OYAMA’s original CX E8D model to the next level with upgraded components that provide a refined riding experience. Riders get the pedal assist they need to get where they want to go with this electric bicycle’s 350-watt hub drive motor, torque sensor, hydraulic disc brakes, and illuminated LCD display. Shimano 8-speed gearing, Schwalbe Big Apple tires, and strong double wall alloy rims are as reliable as they are durable.
Known for their amazing ride quality and sold around the world, OYAMA folders are bikes that happen to fold. Designed, tested, and manufactured in-house, OYAMA bikes offer quality and utility are distributed in the United States by Foldaway Solutions of Covina, CA.
Check OYAMA out today . . . and let your dreams unfold.